Monday, July 28, 2014

5 Healthy Kid Recipes

Finding foods that my kids enjoy is a challenge.  Well actually, our youngest, Bristyn, will eat most anything I put in front of her.  It is our oldest daughter and my husband that are the picky eaters.  Bristyn has had the advantage of eating healthier food options because she was about 8 months old when I started cleaning up my nutrition.
Kynsten, Me, and Bristyn-Easter (April 20, 2014)
I not only feed our two girls, but I watch my two nephews as well.  My oldest nephew Chayson, 6, has always enjoyed a variety of foods, so he was easily converted to some better options of familiar foods.
Little by little, I am integrating new options for them to enjoy.  Here are FIVE typical lunches I will give them during the week.  

1.  MAC N' CHEESE: 
There are not many people who don't enjoy the delicious combination of noodles and cheese.  Unfortunately all that Mac N' Cheese I ate throughout the years is full of fake food such as powdered cheese- GROSS-
Here is the recipe I have even been able to get my husband to eat! (more than one bowl at a time too-He needs to work on his portions- :) 
INGREDIENTS: 
* This feeds our family of 4 kids (ages 6, 3, 2, and 1) with minimal leftovers. Double, triple, etc. if feeding your entire family
*2 Cups cooked Whole Wheat Pasta
*1/2 Cup 1% Milk
*1 Tbsp Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
*1/8 Tsp of dried, ground mustard
*1 Cup Sharp Shredded Cheddar

INSTRUCTIONS:
*I start this process once the noodles have been placed in the boiling water.
1.  In a medium pot, warm the milk.  Make sure it is hot, not boiling.
2. Whisk in the flour and continue to stir for about 2 minutes so that it is incorporated into the warm milk.
3. Whisk in the mustard.
4. Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the cheese.
5.  Combine the cooked noodles with the cheese sauce.  I typically put the pot back on the burner, that is now off, to allow the heat to help with the melting process. 

2.  Chicken Nuggets: 
Our oldest really loves chicken nuggets, and she sadly has consumed Fast Food options more than I care to admit.   These go really well with the Mac N' Cheese too. 

INGREDIENTS:
*chicken- I used an entire package chicken breast tenders
*eggs
*whole wheat flour
*bread crumbs- I used seasoned Italian; however, will try healthier options next time

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2.  Place eggs, flour, and bread crumbs in separate bowls. I ended up using about 2.5 eggs for the amount I made.
3.  Cut the chicken into small pieces.
4.  Dunk the chicken in the eggs, followed by the flour and lastly the bread crumbs. If I didn't think they were coated enough, I added a little more egg and some extra bread crumbs.
5.  Place chicken on the tray.  I used cooking spray so chicken didn't stick to pan.
6.  Bake in oven for about 30 minutes.  After 15 minutes, flip them over to ensure bread crumbs get crispy on both sides.

3.  Grilled Cheese:  When pregnant with our second daughter Bristyn, this was a craving of mine.  Sadly I chose to eat mine with low calorie bread-ICK-and highly processed Kraft cheese.  It's no wonder Bristyn enjoys it since I had it several times a week during my pregnancy. Kynsten has always been a fan of it as well. 
Simple recipes are my FAVORITE.  There isn't much needed for this recipe! 
INGREDIENTS:
*2 pieces of Ezekiel bread
*Cheese of choice-We get our cheese at the deli now

INSTRUCTIONS: 
*Cook as you normally would; however, leave out the butter! I simply use cooking spray to lightly coat the pan. 
4.  Peanut Butter Sandwich: I literally ate this for lunch from 4th grade through senior year in high school.  I seriously thought it was so gross to just leave a sandwich with lunch meat in my locker. ha! If I was only using better ingredients that whole time, my body would have been enjoying great nutrients for quite some time.  
INGREDIENTS:
*2 pieces of Ezekiel Bread
*Natural Peanut Butter- I use Smuckers

INSTRUCTIONS:
* Lather the bread with peanut butter and serve! 
5.  Pasta: 
Pasta and sauce is a nice go-to meal.  
INGREDIENTS:
*Whole Wheat Pasta
*Sauce of choice- look at label for fewest ingredient possible

INSTRUCTIONS:
*Cook the noodles as directed and top with sauce! 

These meals are not out of the ordinary for the kids.  They are favorites of theirs; however, better ingredients are used.  That is how I live this lifestyle.  Although I am more open to trying new foods that I may have been hesitant about in the past, I enjoy taking recipes I know I like and cleaning them up.  These meals are comparable in price and are far healthier than their alternative. I have been really enjoying talking to them about their food choices.  Chayson, 6, can comprehend what I am talking about and seems proud of these choices he is making. 

None of these meals are time consuming! The mac n' cheese takes about 10 minutes and the chicken nuggets take about 10 minutes of prep time before 30 minutes of baking time.  I know I have waited longer in some fast food lines before. 


Happy Eating, Kiddos!!!









1 comment: