Monday, July 21, 2014

Healthy Chicken Nuggets


We all know that it is difficult to please most kids (and my husband, LOL) when it comes to food, so throwing them off of their normal routine and entrees in order to incorporate healthy meals into their nutrition is hard to do.  I went to the store after returning from a weekend getaway with my friends, and I just couldn't bring myself to buy those frozen chicken nuggets.  I babysit my two nephews and knew I needed some food for their lunches.  I decided to make chicken nuggets myself instead.


I thought they would be more apt to enjoying food they prepped themselves, so I got them involved.
Rydan, Chayson, and Kysnten making nuggets

INGREDIENTS:
*chicken- I used chicken breast tenders
*eggs
*whole wheat flour
*bread crumbs- I used seasoned italian; however, will try healthier options next time

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2.  Place eggs, flour, and bread crumbs in separate bowls. I ended up using about 2.5 eggs for the amount I made.
3.  Cut the chicken into small pieces.
4.  Dunk the chicken in the eggs, followed by the flour and lastly the bread crumbs. If I didn't think they were coated enough, I added a little more egg and some extra bread crumbs.
Chay using tongs to dunk the chicken in the egg. 

5.  Place chicken on the tray.  I used cookie spray so chicken didn't stick to pan.  

6.  Bake in oven for about 30 minutes.  After 15 minutes, flip them over to ensure bread crumbs get crispy on both sides.

I was skeptical about Kynsten trying them because she is such a picky eater; however, she ended up eating 2, Rydan nearly 3, and Chayson ate 5!!  Our youngest, Bristyn, even ate 2 small ones.  
Chayson, even though he is making a funny face, said they tasted way better than McDonald's!
I think next time I will pair it with some healthy Mac n' Cheese!!

Happy Eating!!



No comments:

Post a Comment