Monday, July 14, 2014

Living the Life on the Road

Traveling can really throw a curve ball into someone's diet.  I am so glad I DON'T diet; rather, I live a life where I replenish my body with foods that will keep me satisfied and full of vitamins and nutrients...most of the time. ;) I strive to eat clean, whole foods at LEAST 80% of the time. I've come to realize that I don't have to be perfect to be healthy and fit.  A healthy lifestyle isn't about restricting yourself from everything, all the time.  It is about understanding how food affects the body so that we can make as many good choices as possible.  Heading out for a vacation or a weekend get a way, doesn't have to sabotage progress.

If I was on a diet, I would be really worried about my upcoming trip to one of my favorite cities: Chicago!!! I lived their from 2001-2005 when I attended Loyola University Chicago.  I am proud to say my younger brother, Kelin, is a Chicago Police Officer.  I have some dear friends who still live there, so I try to get there at least once a year.  I get to go twice this year because I have the honor of being in my friend Karen's wedding. 

Will I eat and drink things I typically don't put in my meal plan weekly? YEP! Will I feel guilty about it? NOPE! Why? Well, I have tools in this lifestyle that help me when my routine is disrupted. 

1.  Plan ahead- I am bringing my supply of Shakeology with me for the weekend-Thanks, Michelle for the packets for my carry on suitcase! I haven't been sick since I started enjoying Shakeology in November.  It is my multivitamin that assists with cravings, my energy level, and digestion which I really struggled with after my gallbladder was removed 2 years ago.  
My shaker cup serves 2 purposes: I use it for my shake, but I also use it to help me track my water intake!  

If I were driving and staying for a longer period time, I would surely hit up the grocery store for my essentials as I did for Put-In-Bay ladies' weekend! I even asked my friend who was shopping to buy whole wheat pasta as opposed to regular pasta. :) 
Put -In-Bay Prep
2. Water- When I don't drink enough water during the day (@ least half of my body weight in ounces), it causes me to think I am hungry when I am really not.  I eat like a baby, about every 3 hours. Filling up on water between drinks (You know the kind I am talking about! It's a bachelorette party. :) , will help curb cravings to binge on junk food when the night is over.  

3.  Eating at a Restaurant- There will be a great deal of dining out when I am in Chicago for the weekend; however, that doesn't mean I have to completely veer away from foods that I typically enjoy. A fun night with friends, wine, and appetizers is planned Friday.  We will be on the rooftop enjoying each other's company and listening to the songs of Billy Joel playing at Wrigley! I am contributing bruschetta to the assortment of appetizers.  I will be looking to purchase some Ezekiel bread to go along with the delicious tomato/basil app.  We are heading to Girl & the Goat for part of the festivities Saturday, and I looked up the menu to see what I would order.  I am thinking the skirt steak with the side of summer squash. 

4.  Treat Yourself-This nutrition plan is not about saying no to ice cream and pizza and other indulgences ALL the time.  I make it habit to treat myself. I am totally comfortable with treating myself once a week for ONE meal;however, lately I find myself indulging in extra healthier options for those treats. (I am obsessed with my cookie dough recipe!) I actually have pizza probably once a month with my family.  We enjoy our family pizza nights! The difference-I eat 1-2 pieces, which I planned in for the week-Thanks Autumn for putting the containers used for pizza in The 21 Day Fix Meal Plan- paired with a yummy salad! mmm!! You better believe that I will be having a slice of Chicago style pizza when I visit.  I truthfully am looking forward to it.  I am also excited for a delicious side of salad to go with it. I may not even need to eat an entire piece. :) 

Bon Voyage!! 

Life is about choices! I choose to be the best I possibly can by making great choices MOST of the time.  I am human, and that is why accountability has been so important for my success, especially at the beginning.  I continue to be a part of groups with awesome individuals who support each other with struggles and successes.

Do you need accountability? Join one of my groups! Groups for various programs are starting ALL the time! Another cool thing about Beachbody? Coaches join together to form groups with individuals to help them achieve their goals.



Fill out my online form.
Online contact and registration forms from Wufoo.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh jealous you're going to Girl & the Goat. Have an awesome trip!

    ReplyDelete