Saturday, July 5, 2014

PiYo Review

I was so excited when I heard that PiYo was a low impact workout!! I needed something like this to ease myself back to my daily routine since I am sporting a TFCC tear in my left wrist and some compressed nerves throughout my left side of my body.  I didn't have to worry about my knee, which has been scoped 5 times, because jumping isn't a part of this program either.  It is pretty cool how Chalene Johnson, creator of the program, takes Pilates and Yoga moves and amplifies them so each person gets results by simply using his or her own body weight.  I have taken the opportunity to preview the 9 workouts before my PiYo test group gets started this week.

The Workouts-9 workouts-60 days

1.  Align: The Fundamentals-42:04:  Chalenge stresses the importances of form and alignment in this intro video.  It is done the first day of the 60 day program.  This proper form definitely helps during the workouts and aides with flexibility. As a person who struggles with alignment issues in my body (Pelvis, spine, and neck are "out of whack" causing numbness in my body), I truly appreciated this tutorial of moves to assist me.  

2.  Define: Lower Body-20:59: As I have gone through my fitness journey over the last year, I have truly appreciated the importance of a lower body workout.  This works your largest muscle system which in turn burns killer calories.  It isn't cardio that raises your heart rate, but using your legs and glutes. This is the second shortest workout in the program; however, you are worked this entire time.  My thighs are already thanking me. 
3.Define: Upper Body-18:48: This is the shortest of the workouts and due to my tear, I am thankful for that. :) Although it is shy of 19 minutes, it is important to realize that your arms are getting a killer workout in all of the other programs.  Chalene is a big fan of tricep push ups, and I am sitting here typing this with pretty sore arms, and I LOVE it!! It is awesome what you can do with your own body in such a short period of time.  
4.  Sweat-36:51: This is appropriately named!! I had a serious sweat session.  This amps up the cardio and incorporates conditioning exercises and bodyweight resistance.  Chalene throws in a section of yoga flows that allows you to take a down a notch while still changing your body.
5.  Core- 30:18- This is my favorite of the workouts!! I love a routine that focuses on the abs! When I first started my transformation over a year ago, I couldn't feel much in my midsection except the leftover flab after my second c-section.  As I have continued and made lifestyle changes in my nutrition and exercise routine, I now can appreciate the ab muscles!! I love how it of course focuses on exercises that will strengthen and flatten the tummy, but recognizes the importance of the muscles in the back too. 
6.  Buns-28:20- I LOVE that Chalene threw in a workout that totally focuses on the booty!! I am sure my hubby appreciates it too. :) I feel like this is an area that typically isn't highlighted in workout programs.  It usually is just lumped into a lower body workout.  "You can do side bends or sit ups, but please don't lose that butt." 
7.  Strength Intervals-21:52- I love short, effective workouts.  I am a mom of 2 and if I can work my body in less than 25 minutes-sign me up!! This workout did make me feel strong without using any equipment.  All I needed was my own body to build strength, not bulk! 
I started my watch a little late!
8.  Drench-48:08- This is the longest of the workouts in the program.  This is an endurance workout that revs up the metabolism by hitting your total body. Woo! I burned nearly 500 calories in less than an hour!! My gym days before my wedding 7 years ago, got me no where near this calorie burn in double this amount of time. 

Another late start of the watch-I was just too excited to workout!
9.  Sculpt- 26:40- I was intrigued by the name.  I want to sculpt my body to be the best version of itself!! Chalene has us do this by changing the tempo of the workouts throughout this short routine and keeping our muscles under tension.  How is that tension achieved? I just used my own body weight!! Instead of coming up completely from a move once completed, she shows the importance of keeping in various poses to build tension.  This brought out some soreness in my body, and I LOVE it!!
The are several perks of this program in my opinion. 
  • The varying lengths of workouts.  They range from 18-48 minutes.  I think that is great for the body. I enjoy that I can get a killer, effective workout in as short as 18 minutes but I don't have to even hit the hour mark! 
  • You don't need much equipment! The main piece of equipment for the workout is YOU! Chalene suggests a yoga matt for extra support for the body during various moves.  A chair is helpful for modifications as well. 
  • Even though the workouts have an individual focus, your full body is worked.  My arms are SO sore, and I truly appreciate that since I have been on upper body hiatus since I tore my TFCC in February.  
  • Balanced meal plan- This meal plan is quite similar to The 21 Day Fix plan, but it doesn't use the containers.  I am excited to be able to continue with my routine that I set with that program for eating.  If this is someone's first program, they will also appreciate the meal guide which gives various options for this BALANCED nutrition plan.  She recognizes the importance of ALL food, even carbs and healthy fats, into a person's daily meals.

This is a must have in everyone's workout arsenal!! It takes Pilates and Yoga and enhances it in such a way that sculpts your body.  I have only done the 9 workouts, and I feel stronger, more flexible, and firm! Join me for my next PiYo group starting July 21!! Fill out the form below. 












Fill out my online form.
HTML Forms powered by Wufoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment