Friday, August 1, 2014

Portion Controlled Chicken Meatloaf (and meatballs)


I have been looking for an alternative to ground beef since I started cleaning up my nutrition in November.  I do still use ground beef for recipes; however, I purchase at least 93% lean.  Sometimes I am able to find 96% lean. My husband isn't the biggest fan of ground turkey, so I recently have made some recipes with ground chicken.  I remember my mom's meatloaf growing up, which I thoroughly enjoyed, so I was happy to give this recipe a try.


MEATLOAF INGREDIENTS:
*1 lb. of ground chicken
*1/2 cup of oats
* 2 eggs
* 1/3 cup of chopped onion
*1 Tbsp of garlic powder
*1 Tbsp of italian seasoning (I had located a recipe online in the past)
*1 tsp. of sea salt
*1/2 tsp of pepper
**You can add other veggies such as green peppers to the mixture as well.


INGREDIENTS FOR SAUCES:
*1/2 cup of ketchup
*2 Tbsp of sweetener of choice (brown sugar, honey, etc) I used brown sugar.
*2 tsp of dried mustard

INSTRUCTIONS:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray. Mix all of the meatloaf ingredients into a mixing bowl. Spoon the mixture into the muffin tins. 

Put in oven for 30 minutes.  While cooking, mix the sauce ingredients together.  Once the 30 minutes is up, add the sauce to the top of mini meatloaves. Cook for an additional 5 minutes.

I served this with mashed potatoes and salad.  
Fix portions: 1 red for 2 of the mini loaves. 

This same recipe can be used to make meatballs as well!! Pair the meatballs with whole wheat pasta. Yum! 

Enjoy! Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment