Thursday, July 10, 2014

Cucumber & Tomato Salad

'Tis the season for parties! This is the time of year when people want to get together, be outside to enjoy the weather, and eat good food!! Party prep is so much easier when everyone brings something be it a side or a dessert (You need to try the clean eating chocolate cookies I made- Check my 7/3/14 post). I brought this to my family's 4th of July get together.  It is very easy to make and a nice alternative to a traditional salad.


INGREDIENTS:
*1 cucumber
* 1 container of grape, cherry, or cherub tomatoes(which I used)
*1 medium red onion
*red vine vinegar
*balsamic vinegar
*extra virgin olive oil
*lemon juice
*parsley flakes
*basil flakes

INSTRUCTIONS:
1.  Peel cucumber leaving stripes as noted in the above picture.  Cut the cucumber into slices and then continue to cut until you have triangular pieces.  I cut them in 1/4 pieces.  Add to bowl.


2.  Cut the tomatoes in half and add to the cucumbers.  
3.  Chop up a medium sized red onion and add to the bowl.  You can use less if you like; however, I LOVE onions.  
4.  Add 3 tbsp of red wine vinegar, 2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar, 1.5 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil, 2 tbsp of lemon juice, 2 tbsp of parsley flakes, and 2 tbsp of basil flakes.  Mix everything together in the bowl.  

This is a great side to have at a picnic or a nice addition to any meal! I really enjoyed adding it to my daily salad.  

I made it the day before the party and refrigerated it overnight.  You can easily make and go if necessary! I drained the excess dressing that settled at the bottom of the bowl and am using that for my daily dinner salad!
Happy eating!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment