Thursday, October 2, 2014

We ALL have Cravings!!

This post is a LONG time coming! No, seriously, it is taking me a while without my left hand.  So this wrist surgery I had last Friday has really forced me to focus on my nutrition even more. I have believed the idea of nutrition as 80% and fitness as 20% of health for quite some time, BUT I am especially interested these days with what my body WANTS!!

Cravings aren't just for pregnant women, that's for sure! Man I did have some interesting ones though. :) Everyone's body screams for certain foods. The brain is telling our tummies what it wants.  Can you imagine craving a SALAD or PLAIN yogurt and Natural Peanut Butter? What about EGGS & FRUIT? Crazy, right?! Well if you would have asked me this time last year, I would have shouted, "COO-COO!" at the top of my lungs after I got done swallowing the Halloween candy that I bought for the trick-or-treaters. OOPS!! Really though, I am proof that your cravings can totally change. That your body can actually WANT good, whole foods. Now, I'm not one to preach 100% clean eating. That's not my idea of a lifestyle, but I do enjoy following the 80/20 rule -Eat clean at least 80% of the time. My brain and tummy have this good thing going. If my brain tells my tummy to eat something not so great, my tummy reminds my brain how it felt after. My tummy also triggers my brain to feel AWESOME after fueling it with the good stuff.
First meal after surgery-16 hours since my last meal-SHAKEOLOGY

I always talk about how I still eat foods that I have done in the past, BUT the main difference is how they are prepared. Remember those pregnancy cravings I mentioned?! Well, grilled cheese was a MAJOR one with our second daughter. I could eat two at a time with canned tomato soup. I still CRAVE those things but now I enjoy it on Ezekiel bread, instead of LOW calorie bread (ICK!) with a portion controlled size of shredded cheese and am excited to make my own soup! YUM!!

Like I said before, this is a lifestyle where for me at least 80% clean foods is wonderful. I am human, so I falter and give in sometimes. Clean foods can even get you in a little trouble! 
This popcorn follows one of the 5 clean eating golden rules: If it has a label, it should have 5 or less ingredients. The ingredients in this are quite good and my tummy sure enjoyed it last night, BUT before I knew it, I felt the bottom of that bag! Why does this lifestyle work then? Because if it were some crash diet, I wouldn't be able to take the "popcorn experience" and remind myself to think about  proper portions. I wouldn't have a group of people to keep me accountable to my goals. I would have said, "Oh well, I guess I will just eat whatever now!"

Cravings don't just have to be related to one's appetite either. A person can crave exercise as well.  I am definitely feeling the shock of not being able to get in my 30 minutes of effective interval training each day, BUT I am finding other outlets until I am healed. 
Late morning squats to relieve some stress! Shakeology in hand for some weight training, LOL


Family walk the day after my surgery!


What's the point?!?! That old habits can change! That you can go from being a Taco Bell followed by  some candy eating woman or man who takes an occasional walk and TRANSFORM that behavior into great HABITS in not much time with the right tools and support! 

Would you like some health and fitness support? Fill out the form below :) 





Fill out my online form.
The easy to use Wufoo form builder helps you make forms easy, fast, and fun.



No comments:

Post a Comment