Thursday, October 9, 2014

Outdoor Workouts: Tips to Keep You Safe



So my main mode of transportation if you will since wrist surgery on 9/26 has been WALKING.  As I have been taking my strolls in a nearby park, I have really been thinking about staying safe.  Sadly we hear on the news ALL the time about things that happen to people, especially when they are alone.

Six Safety Tips:
1.  Buddy System: Remember when you were younger and your parents or teachers told you to find a buddy? Yeah, do that!! I try to always walk with my BFF's mom who lives just a couple streets away from me.  It's always more fun to walk/run with someone anyway, right?! If something concerning were to happen, this person would be your back up. :)Now, our schedules don't always mesh well, so I make sure to utilize other safety measures. 
2.  Sunset: I do try to take the kiddos for a short walk during the day, but to really pump things up, I like to keep them at home with Daddy. 
When I walk in the evenings, which I am trying to do daily,(weather permitting-lame by the way- It never rains in my basement, LOL) I make sure I check the approximate time the sun will be setting. Even with a buddy, walking/running at night isn't the best idea because you can't be fully aware of your surroundings.  Make sure you leave at a time that allows you to return home or to your car before it gets dark. 
3.  Time: It is important to know the length of time your trail or preferred walking/running path takes you to get through. Make sure you set your timer or look at your watch or phone the first time you start.
4. Tell a Friend: Make sure you tell your spouse, significant other, or roomie(s) when you should be expected back.  See why knowing the length of your trail/path is important?! I tell my husband before I set out on my calorie burning, stress reducing walk, that if I am not home in an hour, that he should be concerned unless he hears from me otherwise. 
5.  Phone a Friend: I NEVER leave home without my phone.  Not only should you not leave home without it, BUT you need to make sure it is fully charged.  I can attest to this! My phone died( darn battery loses charge SO fast these days) while I was on the first part of my solo walk yesterday. I contemplated not doing my second lap around my trail. If something suspicious occurs while you are getting your work out on or if you or someone gets injured, the phone can certainly help get you out of a jam! You will also need your phone if you need to call that person you told about your ETA back home. 
6.  Be Aware of Your Surroundings: I am VERY familiar with where I take my walks.  I used to run the trails back in my cross country days.  It's vital to stay alert during your walk/run. Take note of cars that you see and people you encounter.  The time I tend to go typically has various groups of people: couples walking, friends walking and having conversations, people walking their dogs, and kids conditioning with their teams. It's good practice to take note of these people. 

Keep in mind these tips before you head out next time.  What safety tips do you use? I would love to hear!
Happy walking!
XoX0

No comments:

Post a Comment