Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Halloween: 5 Tricks to not Overindulge on those Treats



'Tis the season for overeating and overindulging! It's hard to believe that Halloween is here, and kids from all over will be knocking on your door for some treats! We all know that it really is the beginning of the holiday season. The early signs of Christmas have already been trickling into the stores and commercials! Is this going to be the year that you find a healthy balance or will you continue to make it a season of indulgence?

Let this be the year that you change your mindset! Take it from me, a recovering candy addict who used to have to replenish the Halloween stock before the trick-or-treaters came, that it is possible to treat yourself without tricking your brain to overindulge. It's a mental game really, so I wanted to share some tips to help you from feeling that morning after candy hangover and allowing you to continue to reach your health goals!

1. Leave the Candy at the Store: I first spotted candy in the stores in July. I am a planner by nature who enjoys checking tasks off the list, so I used to buy our Halloween stash weeks before the big night. You want to know what happened?! I had to go back to the store and buy more for the trick-or-treaters because my husband and I put a good dent in it. One way to ensure you won't overindulge is if you leave the candy at the store! Your kiddos or co-workers will surely have some candy to share, so no need to keep it in your house. Instead of passing out candy at your place, think of alternatives. My mom always would pass out pencils, pens, stickers, and Play Doh. We may not have always been the popular stop on the trick-or-treat route, but it kept us all in check.

2. Take your Trick-or-Treating on the Road: Take your kiddos to a friend or family's neighborhood and enjoy their company and friendship. This way, you have NO reason to take that candy off the store shelves! This will be the second year that my kiddos will be trick-or-treating with their cousins, so I didn't even pick up at Halloween candy!

3. Set Your Limit & Make it Known: I plan on eating candy on Halloween! Yep, I have goals I want to achieve AND I am still going to eat candy! It's a balancing act, People! I am surely going to eat some candy BUT because I have myself in an accountability group, I am making it known to them & now YOU that I intend to eat 2 pieces of candy on Halloween: One chocolate & one fruity- guessing it will be a Reese Peanut Butter Cup & some Skittles! :) Allowing others to know your goals and intentions will help keep you accountable.

4. Eat Before You Treat: It is always so important to have a plan. I make a weekly meal plan so that I buy the food that is necessary for me to eat in order to achieve my goals. I schedule in ONE meal ONCE a week as a TREAT meal. I strategically planned my treat meal for Halloween. We will be enjoying some pizza and SALAD before we set out on our 2 hour (most likely wet and soggy) adventure! I am going to load up on the veggies and have a side of pizza to make sure I am full when I hit the road with the kids. Take some water with you as well to keep you hydrated and full. You better believe that my day will be full of my usual foods: eggs with fruit, apple & PB, & Shakeology
( PB cup recipe will hit the spot). It's one meal, BUT I am setting myself up for success by having a plan.

5. Dole it Out & Donate: Our oldest daughter would probably live on candy for all of her meals if we would let her, so we will certainly be the keeper of the treat bag. My grade school and the place I taught for 7 years, has a yearly candy drive so kids who don't have the opportunity to enjoy Halloween can have some treats. I plan to give much of the candy the girls collect to this candy drive, BUT will save some to dole out here and there.


This really is my favorite time of year! I love all the gatherings with my friends & family. Truthfully, these gatherings tend to revolve around food, BUT I have my tricks, tools, and accountability group members to help me stay on track. It's not about perfection! It is about progress and small daily steps to bring me to my larger goals.

Do you need accountability?! Fill out the application below so we can determine the best program and group for you!

Fill out my online form.
Use Wufoo integrations and get your data to your favorite apps.

No comments:

Post a Comment