Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Clean Eating Alfredo Sauce

My skeptical husband recently proclaimed to me that he wanted to, "eat like I do." Now he has been having the dinners that I make(mostly) since I started changing my habits in November.  Other than my healthier dinnertime option, he was consuming pretty much what he wanted during the day or skipping meals! Eek!! I have enjoyed taking regular, everyday recipes that people are used to eating with their families and cleaning them up.  This one is one of my FAVORITES for sure! The secret ingredient is right there on my plate: CAULIFLOWER!!! 

Now, I am the type of person who finds certain foods she likes and sticks with them.  Consistency has suited me well, and I enjoy it; however, during a recent trip to Chicago, I learned that going out of my food comfort zone can be pretty awesome.  Cauliflower is not something I would eat, mostly because I never really gave it a chance! I really enjoyed grilled cauliflower when in that amazing city, so figured I would give this recipe a try.  My 3 daily servings of veggies often come from my dinner salad, so I was really excited to see that the main ingredient in this alfredo sauce recipe was a vegetable!! 

INGREDIENTS: This makes 6, 1/2 cup servings 
*3 cloves of minced garlic (about 1.5 tsp)
*1 Tbsp of olive oil
*3 cups of cauliflower florets
*3 cups of vegetable or chicken stock - I used chicken stock. 
*1/2 cup of parmesan cheese. I used shredded.  
*sea salt and pepper to taste
**Optional ingredients: corn starch( or other thickening agent- healthier option whole wheat flour) & cold water

INSTRUCTIONS:
1.  In skillet, heat the olive olive and add the minced garlic.  Stir that around for about 2 minutes.
2.  Add the stock (vegetable or chicken), and bring it to a boil.  Once it boils, add the cauliflower.  Cover for about 6 minutes or until the cauliflower becomes tender.

3.  Take all of the contents of the skillet, including the liquid, and put into the blender.  Blend until is is smooth and no longer has chunks of cauliflower. Add the parmesan cheese and blend a little longer.
  
**4.  The consistency of the sauce was quite watery and thin.  Once it cools, I am sure sure it would thicken a bit; however, I was looking for a nice thick, creamy sauce.  I made a roux out of 1 Tbsp. of cornstarch and 2 Tbsp. of cold water.  Once the roux was made, I added the alfredo sauce and it thickened up nicely.  Next time I will try the roux with whole wheat/grain flour since that is a healthier option. 

I added this to a portion controlled size of whole wheat noodles and some chicken! I took some of the excess cauliflower and sautéed it with olive oil and garlic powder! It was SO good! I would certainly add this to plain chicken or even the healthy chicken nuggets I make.  It is so creamy!! 

You don't have to give up eating foods that you enjoy;rather, take the time to find ways to swap foods that lack nutrition with whole food options that will keep you full and satisfied.

My Fixers out there-Just fill your green container with the amount you desire! Boom! Yum! 

Happy Eating!!


No comments:

Post a Comment