Monday, October 13, 2014

Healthy Chicken Noodle Soup

 Healthy Chicken Noodle Soup

It's been chilly here recently, although it will be in the 70's the next two days (good old Cleveland!), and I have been in the mood for some soup! There is something about soup that just makes me feel better.  Maybe it is because I always recall eating it while I wasn't feeling good as a kid or while I was pregnant with the girls! :) Well I tackled tomato soup last week, (see recipe in past post), so I thought I would give chicken noodle a try. I have to thank my husband for the inspiration.  I forgot about his night out with the guys Saturday and had chicken and salad on the menu.  I made a switch when I realized my error, and made this yesterday with that chicken.

INGREDIENTS:
* 2 cups of cooked, chopped chicken
* 4 cups of low sodium chicken broth

*1 cup chopped onion(used 2, yellow onions)
*1 cup chopped carrots
* 1 cup chopped celery ( used 2 stalks)
*1 tsp. of oregano
*1 tsp. of basil
*1/4 tsp. of black pepper
*1 cup  dry whole wheat orzo pasta ( I used 2- WAY too much)
*a little bit of sea salt- my broth had 140 mg of sodium- 3 times less than typical broth, and I needed a little bit more. Just a pinch to my serving was great!

INSTRUCTIONS:
1.  Chop your veggies! I used my food chopper, and it makes the process so much faster. I bought baby carrots. I was able to just throw them in without any pre chopping.

2.  Add chicken broth to the pot. Combine all the ingredients EXCEPT the CHICKEN and the ORZO. Bring to a boil.

3. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Add the DRY orzo. Cover and simmer for 8 minutes.
5. Add the chopped chicken.

I made a couple mistakes while making this for the first time, so I want to share them with you so you can make sure you don't do the same. When I added the ingredients in step 2, I didn't turn the temp down to simmer. I forgot to do that and some of my broth evaporated. Mistake #2- I added WAY too much orzo which also sucked up some of that broth. I only had one 4 cup container of it, so when I heat up the leftovers, I will need to grab some more to add to individual servings. Regardless, it was YUMMY!! 

What's your favorite soup?!

Happy Eating!
XoXo

No comments:

Post a Comment