Monday, October 6, 2014

QUICK Turkey Chili



I don't know about you, but I have days, sometimes weeks, where I am not feeling the particular dinner I have planned.  I crave certain foods sometimes ( check out my post about food cravings).  Chili is one of those foods that I think about during fall and cooler weather.  Living in Cleveland, that cooler weather sometimes comes faster than we would like; however, the chili recipes I've made in the past called for a crock pot.  Those recipes tend to take hours to cook and take prep before you run out of the house in the morning, so I was pumped when I found a chili that was done in an hour, prep included!!!

The ingredients include various spices to pack a punch! My husband and I tend to have very differing taste buds, especially when it comes to the spiciness of food. We BOTH really enjoyed this.

INGREDIENTS:
*1 1/2 tsp. of olive oil
* 1 lb. of ground turkey
* 1 chopped onion
* 2 cups of water
* 1 can of kidney beans, rinsed and drained
* 1 (28 oz.) can of crushed tomatoes
* 1 Tbsp. of minced garlic
*2 Tbsp. of chili powder
* 1/2 tsp. of paprika
*1/2 tsp. of oregano 
* 1/2 tsp. of ground cayenne pepper
* 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
* 1/2 tsp. of sea salt
* 1/2 tsp. of black pepper

INSTRUCTIONS:
1.  Heat olive oil in large pot.
2.  Once heated, place turkey in pot and cook until no longer pink. Add onions and cook until tender.
3.  Add water, crushed tomatoes, kidney beans, and spices.  Bring to a boil. * We added all the spices together in a dish while meat was cooking and then just poured it all in at once. 

4. Once it is boiling, cover and lower heat. Simmer for 30 minutes.

My husband was the cook since I am still recovering after my recent wrist surgery. 
This went nicely with some whole wheat crackers, and there was plenty for his lunch the next day and a couple more meals in the future!

Happy Eating! 
XoXo

No comments:

Post a Comment