Thursday, May 7, 2015

In Health & Basketball



I've always loved basketball. I enjoyed playing it way back in my grade school days. Watching it on the collegiate level at Loyola University Chicago was always a good time, especially when my brother walked on his sophomore  year. It is a fast-paced game that is full of intensity for 4 quarters. I'm a spirited Cavs fan!

As I was watching game 2 of Cavs vs Bulls yesterday, I really started to notice how a basketball game is a lot like our health.
1. The coach has a plan. He/She has to look at the roster and determine which players will best execute at game time. The players watch film of opponents, especially when they fall short in a game, as the Cavs did in game 1.

Our health requires planning in order to be successful. It MUST be a priority in our lives. We've been given one life, no practices. Planning involves scheduling time each day to exercise. It doesn't mean you need to devote hours a day. All you need is 25-30 minutes a day of efficient exercise. We make time to watch our favorite shows, AND we need to do the same with our exercise!!


Planning is also necessary when it comes to our nutrition. 80% of our health comes from what we put into our bodies. We can't afford to eat processed, fast foods. It will either get us now by adding extra pounds that lead to various diseases or attack us later. Skinny is not synonymous with healthy. You can be extremely skinny and really unhealthy. People often say to me, "Eat some cake" Eat this. Eat that. They say I look great, which I appreciate them saying, BUT I NEED to FEEL great. My body needs to function properly.

Fail to plan, plan to fail!



2. You've got to go hard for 4 quarters in the game if you want to win. Regardless of your lead, you can't let up. Doing so allows the opponent to creep back into it.

Our health is the same way. Even when we meet goals, we have to continue exercising and eating clean, whole, delicious foods to maintain our goals as well as continue to have our body function properly. We have to set new short term goals reminding us of our overall goal- healthy lifestyle.



3. Halftime in a game is a great opportunity for the players to take some time, relax a bit, but remain  focused on the goal of winning. It's 15-20 minutes where they don't have to be all in.



Our health isn't about perfection. It's about making small daily choices that that add up to major impacts.
For me, that looks like going all in at least 80% of the time. This involves eating a balanced nutrition plan, not restricting myself from certain food groups but eliminating modified, processed foods. The other 20% I indulge, knowing that those choices aren't best for me, but recognizing they don't control me!! Eat some cake, just not every piece presented to you. ;)


Now for my love of health and basketball, let's bring a victory back from Chi-Town tomorrow!!!
PS- Who else loves the movie In Love & Basketball?!

Interested in taking a closer look at your health?! Fill out the form below! 
Fill out my online form.
Online contact and registration forms from Wufoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment