Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Taco Salad

My husband is a big fan of Mexican food, so I thought I would try this simple recipe when I came across it during my weekly meal planning session.  I enjoy finding ways to incorporate my daily veggie intake other than my typical dinner salad.  This dish is not only delicious, but EXTREMELY filling!

Ingredients:
*1 lb of Ground beef or turkey (I used 93% lean because my hubby isn't a big fan of ground
*Taco Seasoning (I used the 21 Day Fix Southwest Seasoning-Recipe to be posted below)
*Various veggies (I used onion, tomato, and orange pepper)
*Avocado for guacamole-(recipe will be posted below)

This is such an easy recipe, which I appreciate because I am not the best cook; however, I am trying different recipes each week since I tend to make the same things over and over again.  I like consistency in my meal plan, but I need to be considerate of my family.  

Step 1: Brown you meat.

Step 2: Prepare other veggies.

As the meat was browning, I used my food chopper to prepare the onions and orange peppers.  I also cut up some tomato. 

Step 3: Once meat has been browned, add onions and seasoning.

Smoky Southwest Seasoning Recipe- I make larger amounts of this seasoning and keep it for future recipes.


1 tbsp Chili Powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp sea salt
I just used enough seasoning to coat the meat and give it a nice flavor.  You can use as much or as little as you would like.  

Step 4: Make guacamole while meat mixture is continuing to cook/stay warm.
I used 1avocado and added 1/4 teaspoon of each of the ingredients: garlic powder, onion powder, and lime juice.

Step 5- Assemble salad.

You can choose to put the ingredients over lettuce and/or spinach, eat in a bowl, or add to a whole wheat or corn tortilla.  I needed to get my veggies in for the day, so I chose the lettuce route. My husband chose to eat his in a bowl.
For all you 21 Day Fix people out there, I counted it as 3 green (romaine lettuce, spinach, onions, pepper, and tomato), one red of the meat, and one blue of guacamole.  

I recall I couldn't quite eat it all because it is so filling! 
Happy eating!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment