Monday, June 16, 2014

Limitations, Not Excuses

I have always been an active individual.  I enjoyed basketball, volleyball, track, and cross country from a young age.  I mean, that is what we did when I was a kid-played!  During my 8th grade basketball season, I tore my lateral meniscus in my knee.  Starting December of 1997, I had 5 arthroscopic surgeries to repair the damaged cartilage.   I still recall my first orthopedic sitting me down at the age of 16 and telling me that I would never compete in competitive sports again.  I was bound and determined to prove him wrong, but each surgery took more and more motivation out of me, until I finally gave up. I now believe that my knee was a big crutch or excuse for me in my life that prohibited me from remaining healthy and fit.  Pounds started packing on due to my lack of activity and therefore poor nutrition.
June 23, 2007

I often look at these pictures and wonder why I let myself get to this place, which was nearly(I managed to drop a few lbs. before the big day) the heaviest and unhealthiest time of my life.

Finally in 2008, I was fed up with how I felt, so I started doing calorie counting and trying out some of the workout DVDs, such as Hip Hop Abs and Turbo Jam, that had been collecting dust in our new home.  I did manage to tediously lose weight over the next 4 years through my calorie counting, restrictive way of eating. 
July, 2012- Just days after I found out I was pregnant with Bristyn 
Despite my my weight loss, I still lacked energy I needed to take care of a toddler and handle my second pregnancy.  After getting pregnant with Bristyn, my daily walks and activities started to diminish because I had yet another excuse for it. So, it was May 2013 that I committed to getting fit again; however, although I completed the Insanity workout for 6 months, it wasn't until I became a coach in November that my true transformation began-body, mind, and nutrition.

Life was great! I was helping family, friends, and those I never even met, make lifestyle changes. As they changed, I continue to grow and complete my personally goals.  I was feeling stronger than ever until February 17, 2014.  Being a stay-at-home-mom now, I try to do as much as I can for my husband around the house.  Although, I LOVE when he does the dishes and folds laundry :) That Monday, before we headed to my parents for dinner,  I thought I would take the garbage out.  Well, our Cleveland winter was one of the WORST in years, and we had a large mound of snow on the tree lawn.  I decided to keep the city trash can empty while lifting it onto the snow pile.  I knew instantly when I lifted that can that I did something to my wrist. After a week without any change in my discomfort, I got a name for a doctor to go see.  After 4 months of tests, therapy sessions (OT, and PT), and various doctors, I find myself here today dealing with a torn TFCC and more painfully a compressed nerve(s). At the beginning of what seems like FOREVER, I continued working out as I normally would at 530 in the morning, but modified when it came to exercises that involved my hand/wrist.  The pain continued to worsen, so I continued to find ways to modify exercise such as not using weights or a band.  Finally, just about a month ago, my OT said, "I want you to do nothing but walk." WHAT!!?? I nearly cried in her office.  I did on the way home in my car, and am brought to tears as I write this.  Those words took me back to when I was 16, and my orthopedic said, "No more sports." I know some may not understand; however, this is MY thing.  Working out has been MY time for the last year. I also thought about the individuals I have been trying to inspire through my personal journey.

I have been bound and determined to look at what I am experiencing this time not as an excuse, but a limitation.  I have been finding different approved ways of maintaining daily activity that I enjoy.  
This morning's walk with Dad, Daughters, and Dog
My parents, especially my retired dad, have made it possible to get in walks with all the kids (even when I have my nephew). Sure, this isn't time just for myself, but it forces me to get the dog moving and get the girls outside as the weather is finally nice (although a little hot :).

It is important that I take time for myself.  I often believe that is why many don't commit to changing their unhealthy habits.  I felt a little selfish in the beginning, but recognize that I am a better person, wife, and mom, because I am taking care of myself. 

This has been my new ride for about 3 weeks ago.  I wiped off the dust and filled the tires with air.  I tried it one day and was happy that my OT said I could start incorporating biking into my routine.  Those nearly 300 calories are nothing in comparison to what I am used to burning with Insanity, T25, The 21 Day Fix, TurboFire, etc., but it is allowing me to stay true to my goals and those who look to me for encouragement.  

I started physical therapy last week to try to strengthen my muscles so that my nerve issue can be resolved, and she had me do wall squats.  I figured this would be a nice exercise to add to my walk/bike routine, but I know I enjoy these challenges when friends are doing it with me.  So a group of girls, some former challengers, and I started our 30 day squat challenge.  A squat helps far more than just one's legs!! 
Day 1-Squat Challenge-25 wall squats- I had a helper who made it even more challenging today :)
Is this ideally how I want to maintain the progress I have made for myself over the last year and continue to reach new goals? NOPE; however, this has yet again reminded me that life isn't ideal, and it throws curve balls at us to see how we will react.  In the past, I reacted by giving up and walking away; however, the positive people I have surrounded myself with through my involvement with Beachbody, taught me to NEVER GIVE UP!

So, what's holding you back from joining me and others on a journey to live a healthier lifestyle? Time? Money? Physical restrictions?

Want to be a part of my next accountability group that will use PIYO-a low impact, but intense program by Chalene Johnson that will sculpt your body using the foundation of Pilates and Yoga? My test  group is starting July 7, and I will limit it to 10 people.  Fill out the application below. 












Fill out my online form.
HTML Forms powered by Wufoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment