Sunday, June 8, 2014

Mini Tortilla Pizzas-Husband and Kid Approved

I will be there first to admit that cooking isn't my favorite activity to do each day; however, as I committed to living a healthier lifestyle in November, I knew it was a necessity.  Eating foods that are full of preservatives and unnatural ingredients won't allow me to feel my best.  Those foods make me feel sluggish and actually confuse my brain into thinking I am still hungry when in fact I am not at all.  So, I have made it a goal recently to try a new recipe each week in order to change it up for myself and my family.  In this world of technology, it is quite easy to find numerous recipes.  I for one enjoy simple. I like making traditional meals like sloppy joe's and chili and use whole, healthy ingredients.  I thank one of my challengers for posting this recipe in my general health and fitness group I run via Facebook.
Mini Tortilla Pizzas


Ingredients
* Whole Wheat Tortillas
* Pizza Sauce
* Shredded Cheese
*  Toppings
*Cupcake tin

1.  Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and get out your cupcake tin. 
2.  Take 3 whole wheat tortillas and a can to create the small pizza crust.  When applying a good amount of pressure, the excess tortilla broke off pretty easily. 
I ended up getting 5 mini pizza crusts out of one tortilla. I saved the excess to give to my daughters. 
3.  Place tortillas into cupcake tin- lightly- do not press in- keep it toward the top

4.  Add pizza sauce- I used a tsp. in the 4 veggie pizzas I made for myself but followed the original recipe of 1 Tbsp. to the others with pepperoni. I simply used Ragu because the amount used was so minimal; however, there are organic, cleaner options you can find. 
My oldest daughter helping add sauce to the pizzas.

5.  Add cheese- I used shredded mozzarella.  I filled a blue 21 Day Fix container.  I only used a little more than half for my 4 mini pizzas.  The rest was put on my nightly salad. :)
6. Add toppings- This is where you can get creative.  I didn't want to use pepperoni; although, I think I will try it with turkey pepperoni.  I opted for veggies, and they were amazing.  I used red pepper, onion, and spinach.  I filled a green Fix container with my veggies.
7.  I cooked for 10 minutes. Check to see when cheese melts. 
Toppings being added-4 had my veggies on them

It is important to find meals that my family enjoys, and it becomes easier and easier when people share recipes they have tried.  
Simply take a fork to lift the pizza out of the tin.

Our youngest enjoying her pizza!

Those following The 21 Day Fix Meal Plan ( like me): 
1 yellow for tortilla- 4 pizzas
1 blue for cheese
1 green for veggie toppings

Enjoy this simple, yet healthy and satisfying meal! It went really well with a salad of romaine lettuce and spinach.  Eating healthy is quite enjoyable especially when one sees the affects of those healthy choices.  











No comments:

Post a Comment