Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Accountability- The Missing Piece of the Puzzle

I remember my husband, Brian, approaching me about this Insanity workout he saw on an infomercial about 5 weeks after we had our second daughter.  My c-section belly, although deflating bit by bit as I started my calorie counting ways, needed some major help.
So, the day after Mother's Day, we started our journey.  At first we did the workouts together; however, that changed.  I would do mine in the morning, and he would do his later at night before bed.  I now understand why he liked it that way.  It is just nice to have that time for yourself with no other distractions (like me huffing and puffing next to him). I suppose he may have also changed his schedule to possibly allow himself to get out of it since I wasn't there moving him along. He made it nearly to the end of the program, but he stopped, even though he saw results (MUCH faster than my own I might add- Men!) He didn't hold himself accountability to anyone else.  I kept going, and going, and going like the Energizer bunny.  I did Insanity for 6 months.  I still struggled with my eating and trying to figure out how to fit this in with juggling the daily responsibilities of motherhood.    Many people say I continue to go because I have this unbreakable will power.  I don't really think it was/is that at all.  I set goals for myself and shared what I was doing on Facebook to stay accountable to them.  The power of social media is pretty amazing when used properly.  I kept posting the different workouts I did that day and pictures as I went along.  It helped me want to keep going. Wow, I picture shows so much more than a scale ever can.  

Although I was finding success in what I was doing, I still lacked the energy I needed to enjoy and be present with my two young girls each day.  I lost some weight; however, the calorie counting was exhausting, and I sort of hit a rut.  The scale and my waistband weren't moving after a while.  I was doing the same workouts over and over again.  In October 2013, I was approached my another Insanity lover, Kirsten Nuss, and that is where my Beachbody journey REALLY began.  

She, via Facebook private messages, talked to me about adding clean eating and Shakeology to my Insanity regimen, and this idea of being in a challenge group.  I was hesitant at first because I felt selfish for spending money on myself when my husband gave me the opportunity to leave my teaching job to be with our girls; however, after listening to a coach opportunity call and the mission of Beachbody, I knew I needed to do this for myself and others who I hoped to help with their own goals.  

I started my challenge group with my coach November 25, 2013 (Yep, the week of Thanksgiving!). It took me through 3 major eating holidays-Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's.  I changed up my workout from Shaun T's Insanity to his Focus T25.  My schedule really appreciated the 25 minute workouts!! I lost 15.5 lbs and 14.75 inches in 60 Days!! I gained energy, confidence, a positive attitude, a LIFESTYLE, and a great network of individuals who continue to assist me with my goals. 
So what was missing from my Insanity routine? A couple things really such as a balanced, no calorie counting way of eating clean, my daily dose of Shakeology and its 70 beneficial super foods, but most importantly, accountability from others who had similar goals.  When I was completing Insanity, I thought I was eating pretty well; however, being a part of the group allowed me to really recognize how and what I was eating and to discuss it with others.  It educated me about planning in a "treat" meal as opposed to a treat day or weekend.  My coach and other participants picked me up when I struggled on a particular day and celebrated successes both on and off the scale.  I checked in with them daily about how my workout went and if I followed my meal plan and when I enjoyed my Shakeology.  Knowing that I was doing that daily check kept me on track (mostly) with my eating and workouts.  I'm human so of course I struggled with eating from time to time( I still do), but even despite some of those setbacks, I still saw results because of the small, daily changes I made because of my group.  The power of a positive environment with supportive individuals battling the same struggles is amazing.  There is no need to take the journey alone! 
This is May 12, 2014- 1 year after I started my journey with Beachbody

I continue to need the accountability, so I am looking to start up a new challenge group Monday, June 23.  That week I will spend time educating you about planning and prepping for success.  The next 3 weeks will be spent using effective 30 minute workouts and eating a balanced, portion controlled meal plan.  Although I can't do the workouts because of my wrist injury and nerve issues, I continue to follow The 21 Day Fix meal plan; however, I know that being accountable to you and the group will sway me from some of the late night snacks I have been having.  Although they are typically healthy choices such as my yogurt, honey, cinnamon, and peanut butter concoction, it is more than I should be eating, especially that late in the evening.  So,  let's help each other! Fill out this form so I can find out more about you and your goals so we can get started! 



Fill out my online form.
Online contact and registration forms from Wufoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment