Monday, August 18, 2014

'Tis the Season for Chicken Wings


My husband is gearing up for another Brown's preseason game! I am not a huge football fan, but I am always excited to see what the new season brings for our team.  I happened to have chicken wings on the menu for dinner.  This is a common Superbowl food for sure. Can the Browns do it this year?! ;) 

I am a person who understands that clean eating is surely a lifestyle;however, there needs to be balance to healthy living. There needs to be balance in the different foods I eat; proteins, veggies, fruit, healthy fat, and carbs-all are needed! I also know that eating 100% clean, for me, isn't realistic. Living a lifestyle where I eat healthy, whole foods at least 80% of the time is a wonderful balance.

I've written about my picky eater husband before, and he actually complimented me on these! 

INGREDIENTS:
*frozen chicken wings- I used Giant Eagle brand- I had 11 left from previous recipe
*1 Tbsp. of garlic powder
*3/4 Tbsp of paprika
*1 tsp. of chili powder
*1/2 tsp. of sea salt
*3/4 cups of your favorite chicken wing sauce- My husband likes mild sauce, and I  had a hard time finding one actually- yuengling beer makes one-pretty high in sodium so I will look for other options :)
**optional-Cayenne pepper
***I don't enjoy a ton of spice, so I didn't put as much as original recipe called for (1 Tbsp. of garlic powder, paprika, and chili powered; 1/2 tsp. of sea salt and cayenne pepper-this was for 24 wings)

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2.  Take a baking sheet and line it with tin foil (helps with mess) and put a cooling rack on top of it to help cook wings evenly.
3.  Wash chicken wings and pat dry with a paper towel.
4. Place chicken wings in a bowl and add the above ingredients including 1/4 cup of sauce. Make sure to coat all of the wings.

5. Allow wings to marinate from anywhere from 30 minutes to hours before baking.
6.  Once ready to bake, place on wired rack, making sure wings don't touch.  Keeping them separated a bit will help make sure wings aren't soggy. 
7. Bake for 20 minutes and then flip over and continue to bake for another 20 minutes.

8.  After cooling for a bit, place in bowl and add the additional 1/2 cup of sauce.

You can serve with the traditional sides of carrot sticks, celery, and blue cheese; however, I paired it with my filling dinner salad! This is a much better option to those restaurant friend wings for sure. I will surely make these every once in a while this football season! I really enjoy taking everyday foods and cleaning them up! 

Happy Eating!
Go Browns!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment