Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Crock Pot Pasta Fagioli Soup

It has been a hot mess around the Pearrell house since last Tuesday. Our youngest, Bristyn, was diagnosed with pink eye and a virus ;I was hit with flu symptoms Wednesday, which still have not subsided, our oldest had a stomach bug Thursday...then Saturday again...pink eye for me yesterday, and more puking for Bris today. Let's just say, eating hasn't really been a priority for any of us, except my husband. Luckily, my mom provided some meals for him. :) When I did eat something, my body craved chicken noodle soup. So now that I am feeling half human again today, I decided to make pasta fagioli soup that I intended to make over the weekend. My husband said he had been wanting soup, and I remembered he enjoyed this soup when we used to go to Olive Garden. 

Prep was pretty simple, and I love that I was able to just put it in the crock pot and go about my day.

INGREDIENTS:
*1lb. of sweet italian chicken sausage( can substitute other meat) (remove casing)
*1/2 cup of carrots (I used food chopper for all veggies.)
*1/2 cup of onion
*1/4 cup celery
*1 clove of minced garlic
*2 cans (15 oz.) of cannelleni beans ( you can use other beans like light kidney if you can't locate these)
* 4 cups of low sodium chicken stock
*2 cups of water
*1 can (28 oz) of diced tomatoes
* whole wheat orzo pasta ( about 2.5 cups cooked) - all depends on how much you like
*1 tbsp of olive oil
*1 tsp of rosemary
*1 tsp of thyme
*2 tsp of oregano
*2 tsp of parsley
*shredded parmesan cheese

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Heat oil in pan over medium heat and add onion and garlic. Cook until tender.
2. Add the sausage and cook until browned. Drain.

3. Add all the ingredients EXCEPT the pasta on high for 4-6 hours. You could also do low for 6-8 hours. 


4. When you are ready to eat, cook the orzo pasta and add desired amount to your individual serving. Top with cheese if desired.


I am the first to admit that I am not a great cook. Well, actually maybe my husband is. :) It is a rare occasion that he declares something is "Good!" and scrapes the bottom of the bowl. He HATES leftovers, but I proposed we also eat it tomorrow, since I am still not feeling fantastic. He happily agreed. :) 

This was the perfect meal to have on this very cold night and for my sick taste buds. 

Happy Eating!
XoXo

No comments:

Post a Comment