Monday, March 9, 2015

Mmm...Minestrone Soup


The 3rd Sunday of Lent has passed, and I am glad I found another Friday recipe that I enjoyed! The first Friday of Lent, we were battling a stomach bug, so cheese pizza was what we went with. I was back on my feet for week 2, so I enjoyed making some potato pancakes. Now those were amazing! This past Friday, my friend and her daughter came over, and I was happy they enjoyed my newest experiment-Minestrone soup. They even gladly took some leftovers. That's one of the great things about a soup recipe; there is often leftovers. I LOVE leftovers. The ability to simply just heat up a healthy option, makes me so happy.

INGREDIENTS:
*2 tbsp of olive oil
*1 large onion, diced
*1 large carrot, diced ( I had baby carrots and used about 8-9).
*2 stalks of celery, diced
*4 cloves of minced garlic
*1 tsp of oregano
*1 tsp of basil
*sea salt (to taste)
*black pepper (to taste)
* 28 oz. can of diced tomatoes
*14 oz can of crushed tomatoes
* 6 cups of low sodium chicken broth
*15 oz can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
*1 cup of whole wheat elbow macaroni (or any other whole wheat noodle option)

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Dice all of your veggies. I LOVE our food chopper.

2. Heat the olive oil in a large pot at medium-high.
3. Add the onions and cook for a few minutes.

4. Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.
5. Add the celery & carrots and cook for about 5 minutes.

6. Add your spices, including some salt & pepper, and cook for about 3 minutes.
7. Add the diced & crushed tomatoes and the broth. Bring to a boil.

8. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes.
9. Stir in the beans & pasta and cook for another 10 minutes until noodles are tender.

FIXERS: One serving (2 cups according to recipe I used) would be 2 yellows (beans & pasta) & a green (veggies). If using cheese, factor in a blue. 
1 cup is plenty!!!

You can add a little shredded parmesan cheese as a garnish if you would like. Ladle about 2 cups(which is a serving) into your bowl and enjoy! I paired mine with a small dinner salad. My 
guests enjoyed it with a half of a grilled cheese sandwich. 


Happy Eating!
XoXo
Kynslee

No comments:

Post a Comment