Friday, October 9, 2015

Healthy Hot Apples



My daughters & I did a little apple picking yesterday. It was a beautiful sunny, 75 degree day in Cleveland in October. We needed to take the opportunity of the weather, since good old winter will be here before we know it!

Apples & bananas are my typical fall/winter fruit. It gets pretty boring after a while just eating an apple with PB or plain apple. I usually put 1/2 of a banana in my plain oatmeal with some cinnamon, which is delicious.

Ever since getting Autumn Calabrese's cookbook, Fixate, I've been obsessed with pancakes with fruit! I've tried a couple healthier pancake options before, but nothing compares to these! I love  pancakes & French toast recipes that can stand on their own with great flavor, without having to load it with syrup.

I've transitioned the family over to pure maple syrup as opposed to that HIGH sugar option, BUT I still really just love these pancakes with fruit. I've done a blueberry sauce, some strawberries, & now hot apples!!

This was so easy to do!!

**Serving Size: 1 apple

INGREDIENTS:
*apple- I used Gala
* cinnamon
*nutmeg
* 1/2 tsp of coconut oil
* 1-2 packets of Stevia sweetener 
* 2 tsp. of water
*ziplock baggie

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Peel the apple and cut it into slices.
2. Put the apple in the bag and add cinnamon, nutmeg, & Stevia. I just sprinkled in the cinnamon & nutmeg. I didn't measure it out. I was generous with it since those are great spices that are considered "FREE" foods in Fix language. :)

3. Add the coconut oil & water to a saucepan on medium heat.
4. Add the apples and cook for about 8 minutes stirring occasionally.


FIXERS: 1 apple=1 purple :)

This is a great addition to pancakes or waffles! I bet it would taste really great with some plain Greek yogurt as well!

Yum, Yum, Eat it Up!

Happy Eating! 
XoXo, 
Kynslee

No comments:

Post a Comment