Monday, July 20, 2015

Chicken Stroganoff



While lying in bed last week (resting from kidney stone surgery), I saw my husband was surfing the web, as he often does. He wasn't looking at houses or properties, which he enjoys;rather, he was looking up recipes. I suppose he was sending me a little or quite obvious hint really to change up what we have been eating.

I could truly eat the same thing day in and day out. I look forward to my one treat meal per week that changes it up. I live for consistency in my life. He detests leftovers and the same meal over and over again.

He bookmarked some of the recipes, so I figured I would give them a try. I "cleaned" it up a little bit, and we enjoyed a nice Sunday dinner after I got home from work.

INGREDIENTS:
* sea salt
*black pepper
* about 1 lb of boneless, skinless chicken breasts ( I used 3, thin cut ones)
*1 tbsp of olive oil
*1 small onion, diced
*2 tsp. of minced garlic
1 tbsp of whole-wheat flout
*1/2 cup of white cooking wine
*1 cup of milk
*4 tbsp of plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
*6 oz (1/2 bag) of whole wheat egg noodles, dry
*parsley flakes

INSTRUTIONS:
1. Heat 1/2 tbsp of olive oil in a pan.
2. Cut off any excess fat from chicken, season with salt and pepper, and cut into cubes.
3. Add chicken to pan and cook for about 3 minutes per side. It doesn't have to be completely cooked at this point. 

4. Put chicken on another plate and keep off to the side.
5. Put the remaining oil in the pain and add the onions and garlic (You can also add sliced mushrooms at this point-I didn't because we don't like them.) If using mushrooms, cook on low for about 12 minutes. If only the onions and garlic, then cook on low for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.

6.  Sprinkle to flour over the vegetable mixture and coat evenly.
7. Take the pan off the burner and add the cooking wine. Allow it to cook for a few minutes. Use a wooden spoon to deglaze the pan while the wine is cooking.
8.  Add the chicken back into the skillet with the yogurt and milk and cook until sauce thickens and chicken is cooked through-about the amount of time it takes to cook noodles-low heat--add more flour if sauce isn't thick enough for you

9. While the stroganoff is cooking, cook the pasta as directed on the package.
10. Serve and garnish with a little parsley flakes.


FIXERS: I did 2 Yellow containers of noodles and 1 Red of the stroganoff mixture. You can do more or less depending on your nutritional needs.

I paired mine with a cucumber and tomato salad! Delicious.

My husband quickly ate his entire plate, and our oldest finished all of hers as well. :)

Happy Eating!
XoXo
Kynslee










No comments:

Post a Comment