Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Italian Pasta Soup



Fall is the season of apples, chili, and soups!!! As the weather finally starts to feel like fall, I've been looking for some of those comforting foods as the air gets a little more brisk.
I have always said how I enjoy taking class or traditional dishes and cleaning them up. Soups themselves are hearty and typically healthy, so this is a great option that can provide you and some family and friends a delicious meal.  This recipe provides at least 12 servings, so I sent some home with my brother-in-law and ran some over to our neighbors.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 lb of lean ground turkey
  • 1 cup of onion, diced
  • 2 cups of carrots, shredded or cut baby carrots
  • 2 cups of celery diced (5-6 stalks)
  • 1 green bell pepper, diced
  • 3 Tbsp garlic, minced
  • 28 oz can reduced-sodium diced tomatoes
  • 28 oz can reduced-sodium tomato sauce
  • 2 – 14.5 oz cans reduced-sodium beef broth
  • 15 oz can kidney beans, drained + rinsed
  • 15 oz can northern beans, drained + rinsed
  • 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning ( I made my own. I use the recipe here http://www.food.com/recipe/italian-seasoning-82770)
  • ½ tsp salt
  • ½ tsp pepper
  • 8 oz ditalini pasta ( I couldn't find this so I used whole wheat elbow macaroni. I found that 8 oz of it is about 2 cups dry, BUT I would use less next time as I had to add more liquid to the recipe because of amount of noodles)
INSTRUCTIONS:

  1. Brown the turkey in a large  pot. Season with salt and pepper. Drain fat. Remove turkey and set aside.
  2. In the same pot, add onion, carrots, celery and green bell pepper. I used a food chopper for the vegetables. It saves a TON of time.  Saute on medium-high heat for about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
  3. Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, both beans, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper, and browned turkey. Stir well and let simmer, covered, for 1 hour. Stir occasionally.
  4. Boil water and cook pasta according to package instructions.
  5. Drain pasta and add to the meat mixture. Cook for another 5 minutes and serve!
**Tip: You can make this recipe ahead of time and then reheat it on the stovetop whenever you would like to enjoy it! 
**I added water and a little butter to make it have more of a broth consistency since I didn't have anymore beef broth! 

FIXERS: I would fill up a green container for measuring purposes. Container equivalents: 2 yellows (pasta & beans), 2 green (peppers, carrots, celery, and onion), and 1 red (ground turkey)
Yum, yum, eat it up!!
Happy Eating! 
XOXO, 
Kynslee


No comments:

Post a Comment